Pilates is a great workout for anyone, regardless of their fitness, and one of the biggest advantages of taking on Pilates is that it can be done in the comfort of your own home. Though in a gym or class environment you will have access to reformer machines and other equipment, these are not necessary to achieve a successful workout.
If you have not tried Pilates before, you might not be sold on the idea. However, Pilates is a fantastic workout for everyone as it has a variety of benefits. It is a full-body workout that does not overly focus on one area over another, though many people find that it is extremely helpful for building core strength.
Pilates is beneficial as both a supplementary workout for runners (or other cardio-based workouts) and as an exercise routine in itself. It helps to build muscle strength, improve flexibility, build body awareness, and can help to improve the alignment of your joints – and that does not even begin to touch on the benefits of Pilates!
Pilates At Home
If you are looking to get more workouts done at home, Pilates might be one of the best choices. Here are five reasons why:
- You do not need any equipment! Although a yoga mat would be very helpful if you are just starting out you can easily use a towel or something else to cushion your back or knees (over time you can start to include equipment if you choose to).
- You do not need a large space to work out. Most Pilates routines only require space the size of a yoga mat to complete, so it is perfect for those in small apartments.
- No need to worry about angering your neighbours as most Pilates workouts do not require a lot of jumping or heavy-impact movements.
- Pilates workouts are easy to find. There are plenty of workouts online and on YouTube that you can access at home. This means that you can work out whenever you want (no restrictions based on class times!) and you can search for an instructor that you like to listen to.
- Pilates is for anyone – as an introduction to fitness, a pre- or post-workout flexibility routine, for post-injury strength-building, or a great daily workout to increase your connection to your body.
In conclusion, Pilates makes for the perfect at-home workout. If you are looking around for a new workout routine, Pilates is a good place to start, no matter what your skill level.
Remember to chat with your doctor before starting a new fitness programme, particularly if you have any existing injuries or medical conditions.
Want to deepen your knowledge of Pilates and become a Pilates instructor? If you do, then please follow this link.